Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Check that off my bucket list!

It's still unbelievable.  I really did it!  I ran a half marathon!!  That's 13.1 miles!  To be fair, I didn't run the whole thing - I didn't even try to.  My training had been sporadic, so I knew that running the whole thing would be impossible.  My game plan was run for 3 minutes, walk for 2. And if that failed, just keep putting one foot in front of the other until I crossed that finish line.  Quitting was NOT an option!

I was so nervous at the beginning of the race.  I mean, there were all these super-fit, athletic people doing these impressive looking stretches, talking about "fueling" and wearing these water bottle belts.  I felt so out of my league!  Then, the announcer told all racers to start lining up.  Oh my God Ohmygod ohmygod, am I really doing this?!

The music was pumping, and people were cheering.  It was pretty exhilarating. The countdown began, and we were off!  Well, sort of.  There were so many people that it actually took a few minutes for the line to get going.  I took a nice, leisurely stroll to the starting point, then I starting jogging.  I had a timer app set for my intervals, and it was working nicely.  The first 3 miles were around the lake, and it was beautiful.  The sun wasn't too hot yet, and there was plenty of shade.  It seemed to fly by!  In between mile 3 and 4, I ran by the shop that J used to work in, and he was standing out there with Little Toots.  Seeing them was just the pick-me-up I needed.  I gave Tooties a kiss, and asked what time it was, but J didn't know.  I kept running.

At mile 5, I just had to see what time it was.  I was thinking it would be like 9:30 because I'm so slow...but it was only 8:48!  I ran 5 miles in 48 minutes!!  I was super thrilled.  Unfortunately, checking the time messed up my interval app, and it started randomly beeping.  I completely lost track of if I should be walking or running.  At mile 7, I gave in and started walking.  I met a young girl whose mother and sister had left her in the dust, so we walked together.  At mile 10, I was hurting.  My hips were screaming, and my lower back hurt.  It was weird - I thought for sure that my feet and calves would cramp, but instead it was my abs and lower back.  Now I know what I need to work on!

The last 1.1 mile of the race seemed like it was completely uphill, but I saw J and Tooties again!  I made it to the last leg, and I ran across the finish line!  It took me 3 hours, 20 minutes and 57 seconds, but I didn't even come in last! Over 100 people finished after me *brushes off shoulder*

Two days later, I'm still sore, but I feel like an Amazon!  I'm so proud of myself, and Tooties told me that she wants to run fast like mommy.  That makes the blisters and the fatigue worth it!

And crazy me, I think I'm signing up for another 13.1 in October!

No comments:

Post a Comment