Monday, August 6, 2012

Hi, I'm Megan, and I'm a POAS Addict

Trying to conceive is a tricky business - or so I've heard.  I've read instances of women trying for YEARS and not being able to make a baby without the help of outside forces.  Studies say that there's only a 15% chance of getting pregnant each month.  The odds are NOT in your favor.

When we decided that having a baby might not be the worst thing in the world, I stopped taking birth control and let nature takes it's course.  Well, nature must have been on the Autobahn, because two weeks later I was pregnant!  I was shocked, but excited.  Now, she's a smart, bubbly two-year-old, and she's asking for a sister.  And a brother.  You know, like Dora.

J and I talked about it, and came to the conclusion that Little Toots would be a great big sister.  This time, though, we were going to be smart.  I planned and plotted, I even made a schedule for when we should *ahem* you know.  This was two weeks ago.

Two weeks ago.

If you ever get bored, you should check out some message boards for women trying to conceive.  They are amazing!  There is this phenomenon called POAS addiction.  POAS stands for Pee On A Stick.  Yes, that's right.  Women go nuts about testing for pregnancy.  I have to admit, I'm one of them.  I don't know why.  I suppose it lets you feel like you're in control of your body.  Plus, the sooner you know you're prego, the sooner you can start gorging on pickles and ice cream!  Being an addict and enabling my addiction by stock piling pregnancy tests (purchased before we even discussed having another kid, I might add), I decided to POAS.

I'm not expert on fertility or menstrual cycles or anything, but I get the basics.  Typically, women have 28 day cycles.  Typically, you ovulate on cycle day 14.  Typically, you can get a positive pregnancy test on cycle day 24.  Typically.

I'm on cycle day 13.  Biologically speaking there is no way I could be pregnant right now.  And yet, what do I see?

Two little pink lines staring at me.
Is it a fluke?  A false positive?  Only time, copious amounts of urine, and a new pregnancy test will tell!

I took pictures of my pee stick (  gross, I know, but don't judge!) and I submitted them to these "test tweakers".  Basically, they photoshop your pregnancy test to see if they can determine if there really is a positive line.  These women are wonderful - and awful.  They give hope, crush dreams, and will even decorate a picture for you if it is in fact positive.

Here are the results:

 I'm buying more tests after work.  It's gonna be a pee party!

No comments:

Post a Comment